Hoosiers In The Pros: Aug. 13-20
Each week, TheHoosier.com will be checking in to see how Indiana football and basketball alumni are doing in the pros. This week, we have updates from the NFL, MLB and Minor League baseball.
• Nate Sudfeld (Played at IU from 2012-15): Philadelphia Eagles -- Listed as the third-string quarterback on the Eagles' depth chart behind starter Carson Wentz and backup Nick Foles, but replaced Foles in Week 2 of the preseason after Foles exited their matchup against the Patriots with a shoulder strain. Sudfeld started in place of Foles in Week 1 because missed because of a trap-neck muscle strain.
Preseason Stats: Completed 22 of 39 passes for 312 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in a 37-20 loss to the New England Patriots on Aug. 16. Overall, he is 32 for 53 for 452 yards, with five touchdowns and three interceptions through two preseason games. His 452 passing yards are most among all NFL quarterbacks through the first two weeks of the preseason.
- Eagles turn Redskins' trash into potential long-term find in Nate Sudfeld, via PhillyVoice.com.
- Eagles QB Nate Sudfeld taking advantage of his opportunity, via 973espn.com.
- Exciting times for Eagles' QB Picture, via Eagles.com.
• Ian Thomas (2016-17): Carolina Panthers -- Is the team's third-string tight end.
Preseason Stats: Tallied two receptions for 35 yards and one touchdown in a 27-20 win over the Miami Dolphins on Aug. 17. Tied with guard Brendan Mahon for second-most offensive snaps played against the Dolphins with 36, according to Pro Football Focus. Has registered three catches for 37 yards and one touchdown through the first two weeks of the preseason.
- Panthers rookie TE Ian Thomas making impact already, via the Associated Press.
- Ian Thomas quickly getting up to speed, via Panthers.com.
• Tevin Coleman (2012-14): Atlanta Falcons -- Second string running back behind starter Devonta Freeman.
Preseason Stats: Carried the ball five times for a game-high 35 yards in a 28-14 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Aug. 17. He has rushed eight times for a total of 43 yards through the first two weeks of the preseason.
- Falcons impose their will, show ‘what they’re all about’ by using run game to set up explosive plays, via AtlantaFalcons.com
• Dan Feeney (2013-2016): Los Angeles Chargers -- Slated as the team's starting left guard.
Preseason Stats: Helped the Chargers collect 340 total yards of offense in a 24-14 win over the Seattle Seahawks on Aug. 18. Although the Chargers finished with just 58 rushing yards in the victory, they rank fifth among the league's 32 teams in rushing yards at 136.5 per contest.
Chargers team reporter Haley Elwood caught up with Feeney after practice early last week:
• Cody Latimer (2011-13): New York Giants -- Competing for the starting slot receiver spot, the former second-round draft pick was listed as a second-string wide receiver behind No. 2 receiver Sterling Shepard on the unofficial depth chart released Aug. 6.
Preseason Stats: In his preseason and Giants debut, finished with one catch for 15 yards in a 30-17 win over the Detroit Lions on Aug. 17. He did not record any stats in a 20-10 Week 1 loss to the Cleveland Browns.
- Cody Latimer sees Giants opportunity as a fresh start, via Giants.com.
- "4. Cody Latimer has picked it up past week or two. He had a nice practice Monday after a strong game vs. Detroit. Latimer is the team’s third wide receiver. Not a doubt. #Daily5 #Giants" tweeted ESPN NFL Nation Giants beat reporter Jordan Raanan in his five takeaways from Monday's practice.
- Latimer was also profiled in the team's behind-the-scenes series Giants Life (full episode below)
Cody Latimer has been having himself an excellent week of training camp.— #TheNewEra MARA (@EmperorMara) August 17, 2018
Shurm applauded his ability to fight for contested balls with successful red zone receptions over Jenkins and Darius Slay. Time to see that success translate to the field. #NYGvsDET pic.twitter.com/loXgccUEJQ
• Jordan Howard (2015): Chicago Bears - After carrying the ball 276 times for 1,122 rushing yards and nine touchdowns in 2017, the former 2016 fifth-round draft choice is the team's starting running back.
Preseason Stats: In his preseason debut, accumulated nine carries for 32 yards (both team highs) in a 24-23 win over the Denver Broncos on Aug. 18. He previously sat out the Chicago Bears' 30-27 Week 1 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 9 due to knee soreness.
- Back in action: Bears RB Jordan Howard happy to get live contact vs. Broncos, via the Chicago Sun-Times.
• Tegray Scales (2014-2017): Los Angeles Rams -- Listed as "other" behind three other players at the second inside linebacker spot.
Preseason Stats: Finished with four total tackles (one solo, three assists) (four solo, one assist) in a 19-15 win over the Oakland Raiders on Aug. 18. His 30 snaps tied with defensive back Afolabi Laguda for fourth-most snaps played by a Rams defensive player against the Raiders, according to Rams Team Insider Myles Simmons. Has nine total tackles (five solo, four assists) through the first two weeks of the preseason.
- 3 takeaways from Rams' second preseason game, via USA TODAY's RamsWire.
• Rodger Saffold (2006-09): Los Angeles Rams -- The veteran offensive lineman is the team's starting left guard.
Preseason Stats: Assisted the Rams' offense in producing 215 total yards of offense in a 19-15 win over the Oakland Raiders on Aug. 18.
• Shane Wynn (2011-14): Jacksonville Jaguars -- Listed with Rashad Greene Sr. as the third-string left wide receiver.
Preseason Stats: Recorded two catches for 10 yards and returned one punt for nine yards in a finished with 3 catches for 39 yards in a 14-10 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Aug. 18. He has five receptions for 49 yards through the first two weeks of the preseason.
• Michael Hunter (2011-2014)^: Denver Broncos -- The organization's depth chart has tabbed Hunter as "other" behind three other players at the right cornerback. He missed Monday's practice due to migraines.
Preseason Stats: Did not play in a 24-23 loss to the Chicago Bears on Aug. 18. Had two total tackles in Week 1 against the Minnesota Vikings.
• Simmie Cobbs (2014-2017): Washington Redskins -- Is the team's third-string right wide receiver behind Josh Doctson and Brian Quick.
Preseason Stats: Caught two passes for 14 yards and rushed once for a seven-yard loss in a 15-13 win over the New York Jets on Aug. 16. His 29 snaps played tied with quarterback Colt McCoy for ninth-most among all Washington offensive players against the Jets, according to the Redskins' official website. Has three receptions for 16 yards through the first two weeks of the preseason.
• Chris Covington (2014-17): Dallas Cowboys -- Was not listed on the team's first unofficial depth chart released Aug. 9.
Preseason Stats: The team's sixth-round draft choice did not record any stats in a 21-13 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 18. He has yet to play through the first two weeks of the preseason but reportedly missed time due to illness before return to practice Aug. 15, according to CBS Sports.
• Robert McCray (2014-17): Kansas City Chiefs -- The former IU defensive lineman has converted to linebacker in the NFL and is pegged as the team's third-string outside linebacker.
Preseason Stats: Did not record any stats in a 28-14 win over the Atlanta Falcons on Aug. 17. He has yet to play through the first two weeks of the preseason.
• Rashard Fant (2013-17): Chicago Bears -- Is not listed on the team's depth chart.
Preseason Stats: Not in uniform for a 24-23 win over the Denver Broncos on Aug. 18. He has yet to record any stats through three preseason games.
• Jason Spriggs (2012-2015): Green Bay Packers -- Penciled in as the backup right tackle behind Bryan Bulaga.
Preseason Stats: Helped the Packers tally 357 total yards of offense in a 51-34 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Aug. 16. Green Bay ranks third in total offense through the first two weeks of the preseason at 401 yards per contest.
• Kyle Schwarber (2012-14): Chicago Cubs -- Hit .222 with two home runs and two RBI in a two-game split against the Milwaukee Brewers and a 2-2 series split against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
• Josh Phegley (2007-09): Oakland Athletics -- Hit .500 with two doubles and three RBI in a pair of wins over the Houston Astros.
• Aaron Slegers (2012): Minnesota Twins -- Hopes to resume throwing this week, according to St. Paul Pioneer-Press Twins beat writer Mike Berardino. Slegers has been sidelined after experiencing shoulder discomfort during a recent rehab assignment according to Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com. Prior to that, Minnesota placed Slegers on the 10-day disabled list on July 15.
Minor league baseball
• Joe DeNato (2011-14): Announced his retirement from baseball on Aug. 16. The former IU pitcher played in five games within the Philadelphia Phillies' farm system this season - four with Double-A Reading and one with Triple-A Lehigh Valley - and last pitched on May 27 for Reading. In a minor league career that spanned five seasons, DeNato 12-6 with a 2.69 era and saves in 13 of 16 opportunities across 146 games and 221.0 total innings according to his MiLB.com profile. He also tallied 204 strikeouts against 102 walks, with opponents hitting just .235 against him.
• Micah Johnson (2011-12): Durham Bulls -- Hit .063 with a pair of RBI and two walks drawn in a 2-1 series win over the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs and a 2-2 series split with the Pawtucket Red Sox. The Durham Bulls are the Triple-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays.
• Sam Travis (2012-14): Pawtucket Red Sox -- Hit .360 with one home run and five RBI in a 2-1 series loss to the Norfolk Tide and a 2-2 series split with the Durham Bulls. The Pawtucket Red Sox are the Triple-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox.
• Ryan Halstead (2011-15): Richmond Flying Squirrels -- Two strikeouts and two walks in 3.0 innings of relief in a 6-3 win at the Bowie Baysox on Aug. 16; two strikeouts, one walk in 1.0 innings of relief in a 4-3 win over the Hartford Yard Goats on Aug. 19. The Richmond Flying Squirrels are the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.
• Scott Effross (2013-15): Tennessee Smokies -- Two strikeouts, one hit and one earned run allowed in 1.0 innings of relief in an 11-1 win against the Birmingham Barons on Aug. 16; one strikeout in 1.0 innings of relief in a 3-1 win over the Jackson Generals on Aug. 19. The Tennessee Smokies are the Double-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs.
• Kyle Hart (2012-15): Portland Sea Dogs -- Four strikeouts, one walk, six hits but zero earned runs allowed in a seven-inning start in a 5-2 win over the Trenton Thunder on Aug. 14; four strikeouts, three walks and three earned runs off four hits in a five-inning start in an 8-2 loss to the Altoona Curve on Aug. 19. The Portland Sea Dogs are the Double-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox.
• Christian Morris (2012-15): Tampa Tarpons -- Two strikeouts, two hits and one run allowed in 2.0 innings of relief in a 6-4 loss to the Palm Beach Cardinals on Aug. 15; two strikeouts, one walk and one hit allowed in 2.2 innings of relief in a 9-4 loss to the Daytona Tortugas on Aug. 18. The Tampa Tarpons are the Advanced-A affiliate of the New York Yankees.
• Caleb Baragar (2015-16): Augusta Greenjackets -- One strikeout, one earned run off two hits in a 2.1-inning start in a 6-3 loss to the Kannapolis Intimidators on Aug. 17. The Augusta Greenjackets are the Single-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants.
• Craig Dedelow (2014-2017): Kannapolis Intimidators -- Hit .182 with three RBI in a 3-1 loss to the Lexington Legends on Aug. 13, a 3-0 series sweet of the August Greenjackets and a 2-2 series split with the Greensboro Grasshoppers. The Kannapolis Intimidators are the Low-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
• Tim Herrin (2016-18): AZL Indians 1 -- 2.1 innings in 2 appearances with zero runs allowed, one hit allowed, two strikeouts against just one walk.
• Jonathan Stiever (2016-18): Great Falls Voyagers -- 3.0 innings in 2 appearances with three earned runs, five hits allowed and six strikeouts against two walks.
• Logan Sowers (2015-2018): Great Falls Voyagers -- Hit .263 with one home run and four RBI across four games (19 at-bats).
• Luke Miller (2015-2018): GCL Phillies East -- Hit .269 with a double, five RBI and three walks across seven games (26 at-bats).